Welcome to De Montfort University (DMU)
Our open days give you the chance to experience what it’s like to be a part of our student community; you will get the chance to meet our academics, learn about the courses we offer, see our industry-standard facilities, meet our current students and tour our city centre campus.
At DMU we are committed to investing in the very latest facilities and industry standard equipment for our students; giving you the chance to gain valuable hands-on experience in real-world settings. This commitment is evidenced by the fact that our facilities have been rated within the top 10 universities, by our students, in the ‘Whatuni?’ Student Choice Awards 2011.
Our open days give you the opportunity to take a look around many of our facilities, including:
• Brand new leisure centre – opened in July 2012, this boasts a 25 metre, six lane swimming pool, eight sports courts, a fitness gym, multi-purpose studios for fitness classes and a climbing wall
• Hugh Aston Building – purpose built for Business and Law students and offers a dedicated law library, a mock court room, computer labs and study areas.
• The PACE building is home to the UK’s first higher education Centre for Excellence in Performing Arts and offers the latest dance, drama and music studios and performance and rehearsal areas.
• The Game Development Studios are equipped with powerful gaming computers and the latest technology, including 3D, for today’s and tomorrow’s gaming industry.
• Edith Murphy House – which underwent a complete refurbishment in 2011; providing our Health and Life Sciences students with brand new industry-standard facilities.
• Campus Centre – home to De Montfort Students’ Union (DSU), the Campus Centre is the perfect place to relax, meet friends and take part in the many activities that DSU has on offer.
DMU is unique in that it is a campus university, with all buildings and accommodation within one central area, however unlike other campus universities it is also right next to the city centre; which means that all of the great things Leicester has to offer are right on our doorstep!
Situated in the heart of the East Midlands, Leicester has undergone significant regeneration over the last 10 years, which has seen the city completely transform into an exciting place to both live and study. Leicester now boasts the £350m Highcross shopping centre, new Retail and Cultural Quarters, an extensive and diverse range of restaurants and a vibrant nightlife – all of which you can see at one of our open days by taking a walk into the city centre using our self-guided walking tour map.
Placements and industry links
At DMU we work hard to forge links with leading national and international employers, such as HP, the BBC, Caterpillar and the NHS, to deliver a relevant learning experience for our students. Many of our courses also offer placements, enabling you to put theory into practice and gain valuable skills that will help kick-start your CV.
We also have our very own placement scheme called Frontrunners, which enables our students to apply for a variety of placements within DMU itself. There is an extensive range of placements available which offer vital work experience, and these have previously included; working in the Vice-Chancellor’s Office, lab based projects, working in events and marketing and project work for a number of different departments.
Find out more about the placement opportunities on offer at DMU by coming to an open day and visiting the Employability Team, or visit the individual faculties for information on placement opportunities that are part of specific courses.
DMU delivers a university experience that fully prepares students for the competitive job market, with support that continues well beyond the classroom. From employment fairs, graduate internships and enterprise support to a whole range of careers advice, DMU ensures its students graduate ready to hit the ground running and embark on exciting careers.
Visit our Employability Team at our open days to find out what a DMU degree can do for you.
With 13 National Teaching Fellows; higher education’s most prestigious teaching awards and the second highest number awarded to any university in the UK, we are committed to ensuring our students are taught in a high quality learning environment. Come to an open day and let us show you how becoming a student at DMU means that you will benefit from a first class teaching experience; meet our academics and learn how they are working at the cutting edge of their fields, ensuring that you are exposed to the most up-to-date information and thinking in your chosen field of study.