Studying with us means that you’ll live, work and socialise in one of the most vibrant and exciting cities on the south coast. It’s an affordable place to live, with a great balance between city comforts and the greenery of the countryside.
Whether you want to spend your free time soaking up culture, window shopping, tasting international dishes, going out with friends or supporting our Premier League football club, our city has it all.
We are proud to support Southampton’s bid for the title of UK City of Culture 2025, coming together with our local community to showcase and celebrate all that our city has to offer.
Here are some of our favourite things to do in and around the city:
- Enjoy over 60 green spaces within the city limits, such as the Common.
- The city has a vibrant nightlife scene, including union venues The Stag’s and The Bridge. In Portswood and the City Centre you will find a range of venues that cater to all tastes, offering everything from traditional historic pubs, to elegant cocktail bars, to student clubs and live music venues.
- Head to West Quay shopping centre, which has over 100 high street shops packed under its roof. Satisfy your appetite at the Watermark extension, featuring dozens of restaurants, a bowling alley and a luxury cinema.
- Take a break from city life by exploring the nearby countryside, with the Isle of Wight just a short hop over the Solent, and the New Forest only 20 minutes away by car.
- See free, groundbreaking exhibitions at The University’s own John Hansard Gallery, one of the UK’s leading contemporary art galleries,. You can find it in the city centre’s Cultural Quarter at Studio 144, along with City Eye and MAST Mayflower Studios.
- From Mayflower Theatre – the biggest theatre on the south coast - to Southampton City Art Gallery, and with festivals and events like Mela and Pride running throughout the year, there’s always something new to see
- Enjoy a day trip to historic Winchester, just north-east of Southampton and home to Winchester School of Art.
- Take out a Sports and Wellbeing membership, which will allow you access to University sports facilities and other facilities across the city.
- Explore Southampton’s rich history, stretching back to pre-Roman times. Browse several museums, such as the SeaCity Museum which taps into the city’s seafaring past and links to The Titanic.
- For sports fans, head down to St. Mary’s stadium, home to Premier League Southampton Football Club, or over to the Ageas bowl in summer for a spot of cricket courtesy of Hampshire Cricket Club.